Monday, May 31, 2010

Garden in My Kitchen

My decision to purchase and try out the Aerogarden was made with hesitation, but I wanted to grow some lettuce, basil, tomatoes, and bell peppers. So not knowing any better, I proceeded to plant lettuce,small tomatoes and bell peppers all at the same time.

Then I learned that the plants had to be compatible, fruits with fruits and leafy vegetables with same kind.

Also learned when my tomatoes were too high and started to burn the leaves that I had to prune them and keep them low. I was so sad to cut off all that beautiful growth, and after that the tomatoes were pruned to the best of my ability they lost some of their fullness and were not a sight that brought pleasure and enthusiasm, but I read all the reviews and knew I needed to learn more about this growing process.

I next problem was how to get a bee in the house to pollinate my blossoms. :) I had all these beautiful blooms on tomatoes and bell peppers but they just fell off and I called Aerogarden and they said to shake them gently, which I did but it did not help. I removed the tomatoes and the the bell peppers for a new crop.

I am going to plant lettuce and basil. Basil is wonderful to cook with and makes a delightful salad.

I sent my son one for his birthday as he loves to cook, he has really enjoyed using the basil in some of his recipes, it grew so fast and he said it was nothing like the basil we buy in markets, he has another crop now and is going to buy another one.

I really enjoy watching the plants grow and they brighten up an dark corner you could have in your kitchen or other rooms, all you need is electrical outlet and be able to water it when you need to and add nutrients.







No comments:

Post a Comment